Despite a brief burst of activity after World War II, FM radio in Kansas City quickly became moribund, as in many other parts of the United States. After KOZY left the air in 1950, the only activity on the Kansas City FM dial came from KCMO-FM. Finally, in the late 1950s, interest in FM picked up in Kansas City.
By December 15, 1962, the Kansas City Times daily radio listing showed nine stations available to Kansas City-area listeners (with more from nearby communities).
KCUR was owned by the University of Missouri-Kansas City, just as it is now.
KTSR, a low-power station owned by the Nazarene Theological Seminary, was deleted in 1981 in favor of full-power community radio KKFI. It is the only station on this list that no longer exists.
KCMK, then a classical music station, is now Contemporary-Hit KMXV.
KCMO-FM is still KCMO-FM, although it did have different call letters in intervening years.
The KXTR call letters and classical-music format was moved to the AM dial, taking over the former WREN in 2000. The next year, KXTR was moved to the expanded AM band at 1660 kHz, where the classical music format remained until 2012.
KCJC is now KMBZ-FM, but was best known as KUDL-FM from 1969 to 2011.
KMBC-FM is now KZPT. It was known as KMBR through the 70s and 80s.
WDAF-FM is now KCKC. 102.1 is best known in the Kansas City area as being the original KYYS “KY-102.”
KBEY is now KBEQ, call letters the station has had since 1973, when a new owner switched to a Top-40 format, the first on Kansas City FM radio, and ended the dominance of WHB for hit-radio listening.