In 1946, T. Hall Collison and Norville G. Wingate applied to for a new full-time station on 1490. Initially, the transmitter was to be located atop the Kansan Hotel at 9th and Kansas Avenue. However, the proposal to build the transmitter atop the hotel was quickly withdrawn. The permit was granted March of 1947, subject to filing a new transmitter site. The station’s owner responded in April, specifying a location on Bucannon Street in North Topeka for the transmitter, and moving the main studio to the 700 block of Quincy. By the time the station went on the air in June of 1947, the studio had been established on Southwest 6th.
In 1947, Wingate left the station, and in 1950, Collison sold the station to Charles B. Axton. By 1950, KTOP had begun a Top 40 format. In 1963, Axton sold the station to Publishing Enterprises, Inc.
In 1959, the station applied to increase daytime power from 250 w to 1000 w, but the application was dismissed in 1961. A second application in 1964 was successful, and the station went to 1000 watts in 1965. Around 1966, KTOP moved from a Top 40 to a “Middle of the road” format which lasted until 1969 before moving back to Top 40. In 1970, the company changed its name to Harris Enterprises.
On May 3, 1974, the Coordinating Committee of the Black Community filed petitions to deny renewal of the licenses for all of the commercial radio and television stations in Topeka, including KTOP, KEWI, WREN, and WIBW, on charges of discrimination in hiring and the lack of programming for the Black Community. The FCC dismissed all of the petitions and granted all renewals for the stations on June 19, citing the lack of specific evidence. CCBC would petition for reconsideration on July 22, 1974. The petition for reconsideration was denied on March 4, 1975. By this time, the studio had moved to North Topeka
In 1987, Harris sold KTOP to Uno Broadcasting, owned by Robert Tezak. By 1994, Tezak had been convicted of Arson at a bowling alley in the Chicago area, and the broadcasting properties were put into receivership. In 1995, Midland Broadcasting (owners of KMAJ) would purchase the station. In 1998, Midland would sell it’s stations to Cumulus.
KTOP-FM signed on May 29, 1960 at 100.3 mHz. Call letters changed to KDVV in 1976.
In 1993, a construction permit was granted for a new station at 102.9 MHz, licensed to St. Mary’s, Kansas. The station was assigned the call letters KTPQ, but was changed to KQTP by the time it went on the air in 1994. By 2000, Cumulus has purchased the station. Calls were changed to KTOP-FM on November 9, 2009.
1000 W nondirectional. Transmitter located in the 1600 block of North Bucannon Street in North Topeka. Studios located at 825 South Kansas Avenue.